Tuesday, February 12, 2008

China - Lament for Yin Yao

Lament for Yin Yao"
By Wang Wei


Translated by Vikram Seth


How long can one man's lifetime last?
In the end we return to formlessness.
I think of you waiting to die.
A thousand things cause me distress -

Your kind old mother's still alive.
Your only daughter's only ten.
In the vast chilly wilderness
I hear the sounds of weeping men.

Clouds float into a great expanse.
­Birds fly but do not sing in flight.
How lonely are the travellers.
Even the sun shines cold and white.

Alas, when you still lived, and asked
To study non-rebirth with me,
My exhortations were delayed-
And so the end came, fruitlessly.

All your old friends have brought you gifts
But for your life these too are late.
­ I've failed you in more ways than one.
Weeping, I walk back to my gate.



*

No comments: